8/15/11

A Bad Movie for a Bad Year


It was Summer of 1986, between my junior and senior years of high school. I'd just enlisted in the army, on a one-year deferment, because it seemed there was nothing in my future: Reagan was president. Mutual nuclear annihilation with Russia was still on the table, and often discussed as if it were imminent. I'd never had a real girlfriend. I was failing most of my classes. I was bicycling several miles every day to work at a hot dog stand at the zoo. "Highway to the Danger Zone" was always on the radio. And this fucking movie was in theaters:

1 comment:

dj Alex Dubcheck said...

All my belated solidarity for living through 1986...
27 years later, I have more or less the same feelings in the Europe of 2013
(minus Reagan and the mutual nuclear annihilation)